If students have IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL iBT 79, they do not need to take the Pre-University English course. However, we encourage students to attend this course because it will provide the necessary knowledge and skills for initial study in university.
The Pre-University English program aims to equip students with Academic English and essential skills for learning at University level. In particularly, all four communicative as well as academic skills will be developed:
- Writing: problems analysis and report writing (referencing, citing, summarizing, etc.)
- Speaking: group discussion, idea expression and sharing, presentation (tactics in delivering oral presentation and using body languages, etc.)
- Reading: academic context comprehension, scientific research understanding
- Listening: note-taking skills, academic listening comprehension
Besides, the program focuses on enhancing students’ command of grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary and critical thinking ability.
The program is divided into two modules:
- IELTS Simulation Module equips students with necessary knowledge and skills to conduct the IELTS exam.
- EAP Module focuses on such research skills as Writing, Presentation, Research and Report.
- Course Duration: 11 study weeks or 220 study hours.
- Class hours: 5 sessions /week, Monday through Friday.
At the end of the Pre-University semester, students must:
- Have the final score for the IELTS Simulation Course from 5.5 (*).
-Have a research paper for EAP Module (Students delivering a 3-5 minute presentation) on an academic topic
confirmed qualified by their instructors.
|Slot 1||07:15 – 09:15||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|Slot 2||09:30 – 11:30||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|Slot 3||12:45 – 14:45||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
|Slot 4||15:00 – 17:00||IELTS||EAP||IELTS||EAP||IELTS|
(~ 2 hours/ day)
|Extra classes/ Self study||Extra classes/ Self study||Extra classes/ Self study||Extra classes/ Self study||Extra classes/ Self study|
|19/09/2015||School Opening Day|
|25/09/2015||1||IELTS-based Preliminary Test|
|02/11/2015 – 06/11/2015||7||Backup week and IELTS-based Midterm Test|
|09/11/2015 – 13/11/2015||8||Backup week and OISP Camp|
|21/12/2015 – 25/12/2015||14||Last Study week|
|21/12/2015 – 25/12/2015||14||EAP Research Paper Submission|
|21/12/2015 – 25/12/2015||15||IELTS-based Final Exam|